The Children and Youth Program offers unique activities for children with special needs, ages 3-21, and their families. The program improves the social and recreational skills of the participants through play, while promoting independence, self- esteem and growth. We strive to promote positive peer interaction, physical development, creative expression, problem solving, and teamwork.
Our programs open up new opportunities to participants as well as promote meaningful relationships for both children with special needs and their siblings, allowing brothers and sisters to have fun in activities and programs while also fostering relationships between siblings of different families and giving them the ability to support each other in challenging times.
- Clubs: Meet one day each week for 90 minutes. Focus is placed upon group as well as individual goals. Activities include: kitchen skills, get fit activities, arts and crafts. (Ages 5-21)
- Young Tots: Program is designed to work on basic social needs including cooperation and sharing, basic problem solving, transitioning, and communication. Please call for hours and times. Parents must remain on campus for these programs. (Up to age 5)
- Swim Lessons: Offered for 6 weeks in fall and spring on Wednesday afternoon or Saturday morning for 30 minutes. Teaching swimming skills and water acclimation. Classes conducted with a small participant to instructor ratio. The adjustable depth of the swimming pool allows meaningful participation for all ages and abilities. (Ages 3-21)
- Teens: Meet once a week for 2 hours, usually Thursday or Friday evenings. Age appropriate activities including trips to sporting events, theatrical performances, games nights, and dances. Activities emphasize social appropriateness and independence, as well as give participants access to the same experiences as their peers. (Ages 12-21)
- Special Olympics: We participate in soccer (Sept-Oct), bowling (Oct-Dec), basketball (Jan-Mar), aquatics (Mar-Jun) and track & field (Mar-Jun). Our teams consist of athletes and unified partners, ages 8-21, and a Young Athletes Program, ages 2-7. The focus of the sports teams is to teach and improve skills, promote teamwork, and to enjoy the game.
- Recreational Fun Days: These programs are held on scheduled days off from school including Christmas break and run from 9 AM – 3 PM. (Ages 5-21)
- Spring Fling: Programs are available for either morning or afternoon on days off from school during Spring Break. (Ages 5-21)
- Family Events: Held monthly during the school year, these activities are for the whole family to participate including Halloween party, Easter Egg hunt, snow tubing, Blue Rocks baseball and themed nights. It is a perfect opportunity to meet other families and share fun experiences.
For more information or to request an application, please contact our Program Manager, Karleen O’Brien email@example.com or call (302) 762-3025, ext. 153.